Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Entering My First Challenge

I just found out about the challenges at Flutterby Wednesdays so I am entering this in their Challenge #115.  The entries need to have either butterflies, angels or fairies on the cards, and since I love butterflies (and dragonflies) that is not a problem.  So, swallowing hard, I am entering my first challenge with this card, my first easel card.  There are a lot of layers on the front of this card - three layers of paper on top of the card base, plus the additional added layers of the branch, Tilda, Rufus the dog, etc.  It took forever as things as tucked in here and there,  but I was quite happy with the result.  The swing branch was tucked between the two solid die cut layers, with another part of the leaves stamped and cut out separately and applied over the left end of the branch where it went under the frame.  Tilda had the space between her feet cut so her feet could slip over the grass.  Rufus' lollipop was cut from DP and adhered to him.   I also entered this in the One Stop Craft Challenge, theme - pattern. 


RECIPE:
Stamps:  60s Tilda #385, Rufus the Dog #402, Swing #512 (the branch is part of this stamp).  Sentiment: S.U. Friendships Grow (2001) stamped with Color Box Cat's Eye and embossed with A La Mode clear embossing powder.  Flourish: Recollections clear stamp set from Michael's. Cardstock, solid:  DCWV Pastels.
DP:  K & Co. Paper Doll (floral inside frames, behind the swing).  Rufus' Lollipop has been cut from a paper in the DCWV Sweet Stack.
Coloring:  Prismacolor and Derwent colored pencils, Gamsol and blending stumps.
Punches:  EK Success Rock Fern; MS Frond and Butterfly.
Die:  Spellbinders Label Two in Cuttlebug
Grass:  Diecut by Jolee's By You/EK Success.
Embellishments:  Stickles:  Crystal on Rufus' Lollipop; Flowers:  Prima Spring Petal Mix and Summer Mix (small roses); Glitter:  MS coarse glitter in Crystal;
Pearls:  Queen & Co..
Chalk:  Pebbles, Inc. in Shimmers.

If additional entries are accepted, I have a few more with butterflies which I will enter.

I made two cards using identical papers.   It must be a throw-back to my high school years when I dated a few fellows from Father Judge High School in Philadelphia, but I just love deep red and light blue together!  My Mind's Eye certainly helped with their Bohemia line in just these colors.

The first card uses Bridesmaid Tilda while the second uses Peachy Tilda.  Otherwise, I used almost identical items in making both.  I get all my Magnolia cards from Diana at http://www.magnoliastamps.us/.  If a certain stamp does not show up on the website, it means it is out of stock and will be listed when it is back in stock.  Contact Diana with any questions at ladydian@shaw.ca (but she is at CHA this week). 




RECIPES:  (identical except for stamps and stickles on Bridesmaid Tilda.
Stamps:  Bridesmaid Tilda #322; Peachy Tilda (do not know # at this moment).  Both from Magnoliastamps.us at above link.  
Papers:  CS - DCWV; DP - MME Bohemia (Bliss/Love of My Life and Tiny Dots/Blue) and Basic Grey Blush (Admire).
Sketch:  Adaptation of Friday Sketchers #93.
Punches:   EK Success Morocco Lace; MS Butterfly; MS branch.
Coloring:  Prismacolor and Derwent colored pencils and Gamsol.
Flowers:  Prima Spring Petal  Mix and Spring Mix.
Embellishments: Gelly Roll pen in Copper Star on dots around Peachy Tilda;
Stickles:  Crystal on wings on Bridesmaid Tilda;  Rhinestone stickers from Michaels.

I did make one other card this weekend.  In May, my best friend lost her husband of almost 40 years, after failed cardiac bypass surgery.  Needless to say, she is devastated, as are their children.  While I have sent the usual sympathy card, and a perpetual Mass enrollment, I wanted to do something else, something more personal, for Carol.  It must have been a weekend for firsts, as this was my first criss-cross card.  While I used an Anna Griffin  book for inspiration, I miscut my paper (using my scoring board for the first time too!) so had to make it smaller than she suggested.

RECIPE:
Cardstock:  DCWV
DP:  K & Co.  Brenda Walton Evergreen Shimmer Paper Pack (Christmas).
Scissors:  Fiskars Victorian.
Ribbon:  Michael's.
Charm:  Jewelry Essentials
Quote:  Found in "Treasury of Tips & Tricks" by Paper Crafts and Stamp It (ISBN: 1-57486-572-2, purchased at Michael's).
Inspiration:  My 51 year friendship with Carol and her sticking with me through thick and thin, especially these past 10 years, and a book by Anna Griffin - "Card Crafting Techniques". 

The photo was cropped from a photo of Carol and Thom when they attended my eldest son's wedding in 2002.   I tried to use my Spellbinders scalloped oval dies to back Thom's photo but they just were not the right size for the face of the card, so I used the Fiskar's scissors.   Not having a ribbon slit punch, I used the smallest hole punch I had and made a row of connected holes, until I had an opening the correct size for the ribbon. I sewed the charm to the knot of the ribbon.  The following cards show the card with the insert tucked in,  then showing the poem on the insert and finally, a photo of Carol and I in our younger days.   (I'm the shorter one).  Carol, should you see this, you are definitely a keeper, my friend! 





Card count:  18/365

17 comments:

Michelle said...

WOW - so glad you found us! Your creations are beautiful and the more butterflies the better! We LOVE to see all your entries :) Thanks for joining us at FBW - your cards are fantastic!!

Danni said...

You have some wonderful creations!! I'm so happy you found my challenge...I love seeing flutter by's!!
Thanks for playing along with my flutter by challenge and hope to see you back often!

Sharon Caudle said...

Oh Nancy, I'm so sorry for your friend! What a beautiful creation you made for her! I've always loved that poem. All your cards are gorgeous. You've done a beautiful job with each and every one!
hugs!
Sharon

Jane H said...

wow you have been busy! I just love the cards! the two made out of the same paper are just adorable.

Sparkly Engineer said...

Nancy,

Your card is perfect for the challenge and the details are so intense. I love the red and light blue. The peach Tilda is one of my favorites. The memory card is so sweet and I am likely to case it.

Samara said...

Beautiful cards nancy! i'm so sorry to hear about your friend though.

Nancy said...

Before I sign off for the night, I just want to thank all of you for your kind comments. They mean the world to me. Thank you.

Barb Hardeman said...

Wow, wow, wow! You've been one busy lady making cards lately! I'm jealous, as I haven't been able to spend any time at my crafting table. Your cards are, each and every one, beautifully done. I especially like that last card you made for your special friend. She will want to treasure that for ever! Great job...hugs...Barb

Harriet Skelly said...

Wow your cards are gorgeous!! I love the easel card! I can't believe this is your first challenge! Hope to see you every week on the Flutter By Wednesday blog - thanks so much for joining us!!

Nancy said...

Fantastic creations!! We're so glad that you found our challenge blog!! Thanks for fluttering with us this week!!

cabio's craft corner said...

Sorry about your friend Nancy. These are beautiful cards and you sure dedicated your time on these art pieces. Thanks so much for sharing :o)
Hugs,
Cabio

Kathy Gerace said...

All of your cards are beautiful. The one for Carol is expecially beautiful. I know she will appreciate your efforts. Your coloring is great on all of them.
Kathy Gerace

Anonymous said...

Beautiful cards Nancy, I'm sure your friend is so grateful to have family and good friends around to help her through this sad time.
Good luck in the challenge.
hugs
Jennifer

Susie M. said...

These are WONDERFUL nancy! I enjoyed looking through them so much. :)

Susie M. said...

I'm sorry for your friend too. I'm apologize for not adding that in the last post.

ladyjanet_56 said...

Love all your cards you have been so busy I'm sure Carol will love this & it's such a shame when there's a death with family & friends, thanks for joinging in at OSCC, Janet

Francesca said...

Great and Beautiful card, thanks for joining us at OSCC this week and good luck!
Hugs
Francesca

p.s I have candy on my blog if you interested.